Friday, June 09, 2006

dBase II was all the rage

One thing became abundantly clear to me: files were important if one were to have anything become persistent. Basic commands Put and Get allows you to store and retrieve the information that you want to retain. I used it a little bit with my program that stored the results of the Jai Alai games which I tried to present in this way and that with the hope that it would eventually show me some kind of pattern that I can follow. While it was all very fine I still needed a way of easily storing more complicated data where I could do cross-referencing and indexing.

A friend had told me about a hot new product called dBase II so I lost no time in looking for materials about it. I also found out that there was a short course being offered in the University so I enrolled in it. Unluckily for me, no one else enrolled in the course so I was informed that the course would be cancelled due to lack of interested students. This was a big blow to my plans to become proficient in this terrific language so I proposed to the teacher to let me take the course on my own. All he had to give me was a book and a computer. I told him he did not have to give any lectures. I will just learn on my own.

So there I was with a sparkling brand new Dimension Personal Computer with the Z-80 microprocessor powering it and using the advanced CP/M operating system. It had built-in 5 1/4 floppy disk drives so I could save my work. Having access to the tutorial manual only while I was in school was a big inconvenience for me. I thought it would be far better if I had my own manual so I arranged to buy my own book so I could study while at home. This really boosted my learning by leaps and bounds and I have used this system since. I reasoned that books were better than teachers because one could go fast or slow depending on one's pace and still be able to go back and forward with ease. A teacher might spend too much time on something and gloss over another.

Cool blogs basking in the Blog Park. Visit these pages:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cell Phone Deals
Pink Razr